Thursday, April 30, 2009

Giant Moth



Last night when I got home, I noticed what I thought was leaf in my wicker chair on the front porch. Instead I found a giant moth. It lookes like a bird may have tried to eat part of it. Well, the biology part of me had to find out what it was.



Luna Moth (Actias luna)
Wing-span: 8-12 cm
Distinguishing features: Bright green coloration with long "tails" on hind wings.
Host plants: Wide range of trees and shrubs including: alder, willow, cherries (Prunus sp.) and birch. Paper birch seems to be a favourite food.
This moth is found in North America from east of the Great Plains in the United States to northern Mexico and from Ontario eastward through central Quebec to Nova Scotia in Canada.


It is rare to find one since it only lives 7 days and produces 1 generation a year.


Here is a stock photo of a female -


No comments: